Recipe by Engrossed
From: “The Africa News Cookbook, African Cooking for Western Kitchens”.
Top Review by TLu
I used a pound of chicken tenderloins and it was perfect for this dish. My sister and I agree that we really enjoyed the combination of fruit. I would definitely make this again. It is easy and delicious. Made for ZWT 4.
- 1 roasting chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, heaping
- 1⁄2 cup fresh apple, diced
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vinegar or 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, slightly crushed
- water, to cover
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the chicken in oil and butter over moderate heat. Remove pieces and set aside.
- Lightly saute the onions in the same large skillet or pot.
- Stir in the curry powder, return chicken to the pot, and cook for 3-5 minutes, turning the pieces several times.
- Add the fruits, salt, vinegar and peanuts, with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- If the sauce is too thin to ladle well over rice, cook uncovered another 15-20 minutes
- until the liquid is reduced.