This is a combination of recipes from "Eating Well" and "Everyday Food" and I figured that I would post, as there doesn't seem to be a really quick (as in doesn't take 6 weeks) sauerkraut recipe on here! It isn't quite like the real thing, but is very easy! I hope that you enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 2 (10 ounce) packagesof shredded green cabbage or 1 medium green cabbage, shredded
- 1 1⁄4 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup water, to taste (use less water if you like it more tangy)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring constantly, until it begins to soften and turn translucent.
- Add cabbage, cider, vinegar, water, salt and caraway seeds and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for approximately 30 to 45 minutes, until the cabbage is tender. Add a little water if it gets too dry.
- This can be kept in the fridge for 2 weeks.