Recipe by Mirj
A very typical English dish, my Brit friends here make variations of it all the time, it's a staple quick supper.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
This was fast, economical,and easy to fix - and tasted quite good on a cold fall day for lunch. My young daughter took two helpings and declared it as "wonderful!" Anything that gets that kind of reaction out of my sometimes picky eater gets a 5 stars from me!
- 8 fluid ounces skim milk or 8 fluid ounces low-fat soymilk
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 bunch scallion, thickly sliced
- 1 can salmon or 1 can tuna, drained and flaked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 -3 slices French bread
- 1 tablespoon finely grated cheddar cheese or 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the milk, flour and butter into a small saucepan and whisk well.
- Cook, stirring (with the whisk) continuously until the sauce comes to the boil and thickens.
- Stir in the onions, fish and seasoning to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into a warm shallow flameproof dish.
- Arrange the bread on top and scatter the cheese over the top.
- Place under a hot grill until the cheese is bubbling and the bread is golden brown, about 10 minutes.