Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another iron skillet recipe from my childhood. Mom had to stretch the budget and make it tasty for all us younguns. Feel free to adjust spices to suit your own tastes.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large onion, corsely chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, corsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup grated cheese, of choice
- Spray non stick or iron skillet with no stick spray and brown meat.
- Remove meat from skillet and set aside.
- Saute onion and peppers until just tender and add meat back to skillet.
- Drain rotel tomatoes and reserve liquid.
- Add tomatoes, garlic and spices to meat.
- Add enough water to make 2 cups to rotel liquid and add to meat along with the tomato sauce.
- Stir in rice and cover.
- Either simmer over low heat or put in oven at 350 till liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and let melt just before serving.
This was very tasty. I added chopped black olives and used 2 cups cooked brown rice. I just mixed the ingredients, using only the juice from the Ro-tel tomatoes (no added water), topped it with the cheese and heated it in the oven for about 20 minutes.
Danzy, this was wonderful, simple and such a great budget meal. I added a little jalapeno, and some chopped olives with the cheese. My husband could not stop complimenting it and ate two plates full!! Thanks for sharing it.