Recipe by Food Snob in Israel
A quick and easy version of Eritrean/Ethiopian lentils. Could also be called curry lentils. The great thing is that you can leave this at a simmer and walk away, just stirring occasionally and adding more water until you reach the desired consistency.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1 -2 cup coconut milk
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon madras curry
- 2 onions
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onions and garlic finely.
- Sauté in oil over heat in a large pot
- Add Madras curry and sauté a few more seconds.
- Add red lentils and coconut milk.
- Stir and let mixture sit a few moments.
- Add water.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until this has reached a nice mushy, stew-y consistency. Remove from heat and salt liberally to taste (may need a teaspoon or more of salt).
- Serve over injera, rice or just eat plain with bread. Freezes well. Reheats well.