Recipe by WI Cheesehead
I put a few ideas together to make this for breakfast today and the family loved it! It didn't make enough. Be sure to use the thinner sandwhich type bread. Use any flavor jam you like. Other filling ingredients are listed in the directions. I took the crusts and made Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Crunchy Croutons, so there's really no waste. Now if I could only find a decent white bread with no high fructose corn syrup!
- 1 (24 ounce) white bread
- 1⁄2 cup natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar-free strawberry jam or 1⁄4 cup strawberry syrup
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter, melted
- cinnamon sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the peanut butter and jam together in a bowl.
- Remove the crusts and roll the bread flat.
- Using a large biscuit cutter, cut into a circle.
- Place about 1 T of PB/jam into the center and sprinkle on a few chocolate chips.
- Fold the bread over into a half moon shape and seal the edge; place on a baking tray. Repeat until you have the tray full.
- Melt butter and brush over tops; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake in 350° oven for 15-20 minutes, or until hot.
- Filling suggestions (just leave off the cinnamon/sugar):.
- Cheddar cheese and chopped pepperoni, or ham or cooked ground beef, etc.
- Mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce and pepperoni.
- Chopped eggs, cheese and a little mayo.
- Make a gyro type filling. The variations are endless!
- The variations are endless!