Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of the first things I cooked and turned out perfect, and one of the few things I can cook without ever going wrong. It's easy and yummy too! My mom's recipe.
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 4 onions
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger (optional)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- coriander leaves, for garnishing
- Peel the onions, cut into quarters and cut into this slices.
- Split the chillies.
- Heat oil in a wok, fry the onions until transparent, add to this the chillies, ginger and garlic.
- Stir fry for a minute or two.
- Add in the tomatoes.
- When the tomatoes are nicely cooked add the powder spices.
- Stir fry for another minute or three.
- Add salt and water and bring to boil.
- Adjust the consistency of the gravy to your choice.
- Halve the boiled eggs lengthwise and add to the gravy.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro, and serve with thin chapaties or plain parathas.
I really liked the idea of an egg curry, but this was a little bland for us. I even added extra of all the spices after tasting and it still didn't perk up. I definately wouldn't add the water next time. Maybe 1/2 cup. I boiled it for about 15-20 minutes trying to thicken it up again. Added potatoes and peas. Wasn't bad and I do like the eggs, but the sauce just didn't do it for us. Fun way to use up the Easter eggs though, and I always like something different.
Yummm! Thank you so much for posting this! This was just like my mom's egg curry - it's just hard to get a recipe from her since she never measures anything! :) Very economical too if you already have the spices on hand. Thanks again!
Delicious! I left out the chilies because my two year old can't take the heat just yet. Also I reduced it to two large onions. I also pureed the curry in the blender before adding the eggs. Turned out very well. Next time I think I will add green peas and potatoes.