Recipe by esmerelda smoot
This great recipe found in "Real Simple" magazine cuts normal preparation time for empanadas in half.
Top Review by HocoRuco
I wasn't blown away by this recipe. I found that many of my empanadas sprung leaks in the oven which was unfortunate but certainly not the end of the world. They were very tasty but I found preparing them to be very time consuming and tedious despite the shortcut of using frozen pizza dough. I also thought that the outside of the empanadas could have used a bit of brushed egg or butter because it was rather dry tasting. Good, not great and for me not quite worth the effort.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb refrigerated pizza dough
- 1⁄2 cup flour (for the work surface)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (1 pint) containerfresh salsa
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream (to garnish) (optional)
- avocado (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F Spread 1 teaspoon of the oil on a baking sheet.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each into an 8in round on a lightly floured surface. On 1 side of each round, spread some of the beans, then top with 1 1/2 tbs of salsa and 2 tbs of cheese.
- Fold each of the rounds in half, covering the filling, and sealing the dough on the curved edge with your thumb. Lightly brush the tops of the empanadas with the remaining oil. Transfer to the already greased baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sliced avocado if desired.