Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A new twist on an old favorite! Feeds a family of 6-8, and is great on a cold winter night. I came up with this recipe when I was trying to get my husband to eat more family-style casserole dishes (he's not a fan of casseroles). I served it right out of the oven, bubbling hot, with a slice of crusty french bread and a small dinner salad. He ate three helpings and told me that I should definitely put "that one" in my recipe box.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can sweet corn
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 4 cups macaroni noodles (cooked al dente)
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup black olives (chopped or sliced)
- Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions for al dente, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside. In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion, drain. Return meat mixture to skillet, stir dry taco seasoning mix into meat mixture along with water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occassionally, for 10 minutes. Add the corn, tomato soup, cheddar cheese and cooked macaroni noodles to the meat mixture and stir until well blended. Turn mixture into a greased, large oblong casserole dish. Cover, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until bubbly. You may add extra grated cheese to top the casserole, if you wish, during the last 15 minutes of baking time.
Super, super good! Huge hit with the kids too! Decided to top off with crushed tortilla chips, diced fresh tomato and more cheese in the last 15 minutes of baking. Really added that "taco" flavor!
I used some leftover seasoned ground beef that we used for tacos; also had some leftover corn from another night. Cut the recipe in 1/2 and mixed up for lunch tomorrow. I mixed it all and will bake tomorrow. I did have to sample a few bites and it is great! I like the tomato soup rather that tomato sauce, it tastes less acidic. Made for I Recommend Tag.
Great recipe. Very kid pleaser. My son loved it. I used mozzarella cheese. I didn't put it in the oven. We were too hungry. Thanks zbigbass :) Made for Cookbook tag game