Recipe by LJeffTheChef
Quick and easy sugar cookies that taste like grandma's homemade holiday cookies but are as simple as slice and bake. This recipe evolved because friends were craving dessert but I only had pantry ingredients and NO baking powder. I used more baking soda as a substitution and they worked like a charm. Two dozen cookies, gone in a flash.
Top Review by Gabrielle G.
I followed the recipe precisely and I kept it in the oven a little longer probably about 13 minutes, but the cookies didn't come out as I expected it to. the cookies taste like sugary flour that has over bearing amount of vanilla extract. and they're are soft in the middle and hard around the edges. this is definitely not what I wanted...
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour (all purpose is fine)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter (softened in microwave)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 egg (large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- sugar (for rolling the dough balls in before baking)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F In a bowl, mix flour and baking soda.
- In a larger bowl, cream sugar and softened butter until smooth. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract. Blend in the dry ingredients slowly until combined. I first made these with a fork instead of a mixer and it was fine. Hand roll into balls (teaspoon size) and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Optional: Roll the dough balls in a mix of cinnamon and sugar before placing on the baking sheet.
- Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes away from the heat before devouring.