Recipe by Deb's Recipes
Originally entitled 1-2-3 Pea Soup in Jenifer Lang Cooks For Kids. This is a thick, vegetarian soup, so good that even little picky-eaters will love it. The kids have grown up and left our nest, but DH and I still enjoy this soup often!
- 1 cup split peas
- 1⁄4 cup long-grain rice or 1⁄4 cup brown rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced into small pieces
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (don't skimp)
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine peas, rice, and water in a saucepan or small stock-pot; bring to boil then reduce heat; add vegetables, salt, pepper, and bay leaf to pot.
- Simmer for one hour; discard bay leaf and, if desired, partially mash up the soft-cooked split peas with the back a large spoon. Alternately, you may puree the soup in a blender or food-processor before serving.
- For more flavor, you may use broth or homemade stock instead of water, or use a combination of half tomato juice and half water. You may also add 1/2 teaspoon cumin for a southwestern flavor, OR (one or the other, not both) add a bit of rubbed sage for a "smoky" note.