Recipe by Leonas
A quick and simple red salsa reciple that doesn't taste like it came from a can!
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this for 2013 Zaar Cookbook tag game and this is a keeper. I did drain the liquid from both canned tomatoes (the Rotel I left some of it) and used a full jalapeno pepper and no serrano (company didn't want it to hot). Definately one I will use again and again. Thank you for posting. P,S. Oh yes, I left it a little chunky and used a little less onion and added some green onion sliced thin for some more color.
- 1 (14 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes, with juice (Tomatoes with Green chiles)
- 1 (14 ounce) cancanned diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, minced fine
- 1⁄2 large jalapeno pepper, deveined
- 1 small serrano chilies or 1 medium serrano chili, deveined, minced fine
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 lime, juice of, fresh
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onions, jalapeno chile, and garlic into food processor. Pulse several times, until chopped fine.
- Place tomatoes into food processor.
- Place chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt, and sugar into food processor.
- Mince Serrano chile very fine, then saute for a few minutes, until soft, in olive oil. Place inside food processor, oil and all.
- Pulse all ingredients together until as smooth or chunky as you like. Taste, add salt if desired, serve with tortilla chips.