Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I grew up eating these. This is a recipe originally from an old Nestle cookbook that my mom adapted to suit us.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Combine butter, brown sugar, and vanilla and beat until creamy.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Add the flour and oatmeal.
- Spread in a greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Combine chocolate chips and shortening and melt in a double boiler or carefully in a saucepan.
- Spread over baked mixture.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
Your mom knew a good recipe when she found one! I'm glad you shared it with us. It was definitely a quick one to pull together and the oatmeal makes me feel better about eating a yummy bar! I sprinkled half with nuts and left the other half plain for my nutty kids. Made, reviewed and photo-ed for PAC Spring '08.
Very good bars they are like the ones my mom made when I was a kid. Love the oatmeal and the chocolate topping. Very quick to make and all the ingredients I usually have on hand. Thanks for taking me down memory lane.