Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. A delightfully simple but yummy appetizer, perfect for game days, picnics or last-minute guests. Made this for the Super Bowl with ingredients I had in the fridge. You can add lots more but staying within the 5 ingredients was a fun experiment. I often use two cans of dough to make a double batch, because they go so quickly.
- Divide the mashed potatoes in half, returning one half to the bag to refreeze, thaw the remaining half and set aside.
- Thaw and drain 1/2 bag (about 8 oz.) of the peas and carrots, and place in a medium bowl.
- Over medium heat cook the sausage (the meat having been removed from the casing) and the onion in a nonstick skillet, stirring, until the sausage is browned and the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Drain off the grease and pour the meat-onion mix into a large bowl, set aside.
- In the same pan, with any residual grease left in the pan, cook the peas and carrots for another 2 minutes.
- Pour the peas and carrots into the meat mixture, then fold in the thawed (10 ounces portion) of the mashed potatoes.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the biscuit dough and cut into 12 (3-inch) rounds.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Put a generous tablespoonful of the filling in the center of each round, brush the edges with water, and fold in half. Seal the edges with a fork. Cut 2 small slits in the top of each meat pie.
- Put the mini-pies on an un-greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove, let cool slightly, and serve.