Recipe by breezermom
This recipe is really quick and easy, and the refried beans give a nice thick texture. I love the ease and the taste of this recipe. This recipe came from Southwest Seasons Cookbook.
Top Review by Cats Eye
Quite good! I didn't use the bacon but I did brown up some ground round (drained & rinsed) to add to it. It doesn't make very much so if company is coming you need to at least double this. I also added a some hot sauce as we like a bit of a bite! Overall, it is a quick and tasty soup.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock, I recommend Basic Chicken Stock
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped and undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- cheddar cheese, Shredded
- monterey jack cheese, Shredded
- crushed tortilla chips
- sour cream
- green onion, Chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan until crisp; remove bacon, reserving drippings in saucepan. Set bacon aside.
- Saute onion, celery, and garlic in drippings over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add refried beans and next 4 ingredients; stir well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soup into individual soup bowls. Sprinkle with reserved bacon, and top with cheese, crushed tortilla chips, green onions, and a spoonful of sour cream.