Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
This is my grandmother's recipe, I'm not sure where she got it. It only takes about 14 minutes in the microwave for a quick dinner. If you want meat you can add it to your sauce.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 (6 ounce) can low-sodium tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canchunky low-sodium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Peel eggplant; cut into 1/8" slices. In bowl combine tomato paste, water and tomatoes. Mix well. Add oregano and basil, Spread sauce on bottom of 2-Qt casserole. Layer half of eggplant, more sauce, and half the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Finish by sprinkling Paremsan cheese on top. Cover casserole.
- Place in microwave and cook on High 14 minutes, turning dish once after 7 minute if your microwave does not rotate. Make sure cheese has melted.
- Serves 4.
- To Freeze: Label casserole and freeze up to 2 months.
- To Thaw: Thaw and place in microwave on High for 7 minutes.
I had never thought of making eggplant in the microwave before. Great way to make an eggplant meal without frying or using the oven! I added extra mozzarella cheese along with some garlic and red pepper flakes. It was great!
This was great! I didn't have low-sodium canned tomatoes, so I just used extra water and it was so flavorful, you'd never know it. Cooked in the microwave perfectly, which has now got me on a kick of full-on cooking in the microwave. Usually I just use it to heat things up, but I've since made a meatloaf and lasagna in the microwave and both came out great. So thanks for the great eggplant recipe, and thanks also for rediscovering a great time-saving cooking method that doesn't heat up the whole house!
This is great for a quick and very tasty meal. I skip the step of mixing tomato paste and water and I use a jar of (blush) Ragu that I doctor by adding some chile peppers, garlic, basil, oregano, fennel and just a touch of cinnamon. Once I made this with swiss cheese because I was out of mozzarella and it was just as good. I top the baking dish with a sheet of parchment paper before wrapping in plastic to microwave. Thanks for sharing.