Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I originally saw the basic recipe in a Southern Living Magazine Cookbook and added my own ingredients to fine tune the flavors. It is really as close as you can get to the real thing. This is a hearty meal in itself or serve with cornbread and a salad and everyone will think you have been cooking for hours. You wont be disappointed.
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 -3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (24 ounce) containershredded barbecued pork
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen vegetable gumbo
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 -4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 -6 tablespoons of texas pete's hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 4 -5 roma tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- Boil chicken in chicken stock, cool then shred.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.