Recipe by the80srule
I love lentils and am trying to eat more of them. These would probably speed by in a pressure cooker but I've only done them the stovetop way so far. Inspired by both Indian and Indonesian cooking. You can use a 15-oz can of brown lentils to reduce the cooking time if you like, I sized it the same with 2/3 dry cup and included instructions for canned as well. The aseptic or half-gallon boxes of So Delicious coconut milk would probably work well too if you just measure out 14 oz. I use 365 Light Coconut but "light coconut milk" isn't recognized in the ingredient database. "Brown lentils" also aren't recognized? 1/3 cup each of brown and green lentils would also be cool!
Top Review by Lalaloula
WOW, what a yummylicious dish! Loved the combination of the earthy lentils with the sweet coconut milk and the Indian/Indonesian spices. I will surely make this again!
THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this recipe with us, the80s!
Made and reviewed for the Asian Tag Game October 2010.
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked lentils (or 1 15-oz can)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut (fine-flake)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and sort through the lentils to remove pebbles, bad ones, etc. (If using a can, just rinse and drain.) Bring the coconut milk to a low boil and add the lentils and spices but NOT the shredded coconut.
- Loosely cover and let simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils have softened. (If using canned-- this only needs 5-10 minutes for the flavors to impart.).
- Fluff up the lentils and mix in the coconut so it adds a nice crunch. Serve with veggies and rice and enjoy.