Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious coffee cake/cinnamon bun dessert adapted from bakingbites.com. (Mixture starts out more like a batter than a dough, so please DO NOT add additional flour!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast or 4 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 2⁄3 cup warm milk (100-110F, low fat is fine)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, cold
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- vanilla frosting or confectioner's sugar icing
- Lightly grease an 8×8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Dissolve the yeast in a measuring cup filled with the warmed milk, then stir milk mixture, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and egg into the flour mixture.
- Mix well, until very smooth. Pour into prepared pan and let rest for 15 minutes.
- While the dough rests, mix together butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl using fingers until all the butter has been incorporated into the sugar and mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle evenly on top of rested dough and press the mixture down into the dough with your fingertips (or swirl in with a spatula.).
- Place pan into a cold oven, then set the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until bread is lightly browned at the edges and the center of the bread springs back when lightly pressed. Some of the sugar mixture on top may still be bubbling.
- Let cool slightly and frost or ice as desired.
I'm eating it warm out of the oven right now and it is quite delicious! I am giving it 4 starts, however, because I did end up having to add about 1/2 cup more flour because the dough seemed very runny when I mixed it all together. It came out lovely. I also added thin slices of apple into the dough before baking - just pushed them in here and there. Overall, a very nice treat: easy to make and tasty. Thanks for this recipe.
This was a big hit! Easy to make.... Cleanly came out of the baking pan. Just a perfect little coffee cake. Tender crumb. I aslo made 1/2 of http://www.food.com/recipe/cinnamon-bun-icing-19239 recipe and drizzled that over it. I made it according to the recipe and the cake turned out beautiful.
Excellent taste and so easy to put together! I doubled this, baked in a bundt pan and shared it with my friends at work. Goodness, within 5 minutes of putting it at the coffee station, I had 3 people come to my desk to tell me how good it was! I subbed half of the oil with melted butter. Next time, I think I'll add some chopped walnuts to the brown sugar mixture. Thanks for sharing this excellent recipe!