Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chili beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 beef bouillon cubes, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon steak sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In large soup pot, brown beef, onion, green pepper and celery for 8 minutes.
- Stir in next 6 ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Add seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and and cook uncovered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with the mozzarella cheese.
This was a nice, simple recipe. I am not even a chili fan (my husband made it), and I really enjoyed it. It's not overly hot, which I liked, because then each cook/eater can "spice it up" as they wish.
This was a very easy and quick recipe! However, I did do some tweaking the first time I made it and would probaby do a little more tweaking the next time. I like heat so I used diced tomatoes w/ chilies (may not be available everywhere) and also added a dash of cayenne powder and 2 dashes of tobasco sauce. The only other thing I'd change is to add more eat and/or include less tomato paste because the end result was a little too tomatoey and not as meaty or thick as I like it.