Recipe by yates02
This is a Southern Living recipe. It is delicious and easy!
Top Review by ConnieMarie28
LOVED IT! But instead of smoked sausage, I used hot breakfast sausage and three links of cheesy brats- It was a huge hit! My old man said it's the best thing I've ever made (and I make a lot of new things!!) I also used cajun seasoning since I didn't have creole seasoning- gave it an awesome kick! A new favorite!
- 1⁄2 lb light smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 -3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 -2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- hot cooked rice
- Cook sausage over high heat in Dutch oven 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Add enough oil to drippings in Dutch oven to equal 3 tablespoons, and whisk in flour; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes.
- Add onion and next 3 ingredients; cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in broth and next 2 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and chicken; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice.