Recipe by ~*Sue*~Chef
This recipe actually came from a Sunday newspaper circular for McCormick spice coupons. After I tried this recipe I have never gone back to any other spice mix or package for chili with or without meat. I would even go so far to say that it would be good for taco meat (minus the sugar). For a heartier one bowl meal serve over rice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
California Spice Blend
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and green pepper, cook 5 min., stirring often.
- Stir in spice mix and remaining ingredients. (I like to toast the spices for about a minute before adding the other ingredients.)
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 min., stirring occasionally. This freezes beautifully.