Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 55 mins
Tired of the same old breakfast choices. This delicious dish is easy to prepare without sacrificing on taste. Pull the ingredients together in a 13x9 casserole dish the night before and the following morning wake up your taste buds with this savory egg bake that features green chilies, mushrooms, scallions, 3 cheeses, and sausage. A special morning start like this will keep your family smiling all day long!
- 6 cups crusty French bread or 6 cups Italian bread or 6 cups sourdough bread, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 lb sausage, cooked and drained
- 3 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded and divided
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, roughly chopped (green onions)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar mushrooms, drained
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Lighlty grease a 13x9-inch casserole dish.
- Transfer bread, sausage, spinach, 1/2 cup of each cheese, scallions, chiles, mushrooms in prepared casserole dish. Mix lightly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend the eggs, half-and-half, salt, garlic and onion powders and cayenne pepper. Pour over the bread mixture taking care to evenly coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours (best to let flavors 'marry' overnight).
- Following morning, preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove plastic wrap from casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheeses over the top of the egg bake.
- Bake between 55 and 70 minutes - or until puffed and lightly golden. If in doubt, inset a knife into the center, it should come out clean.
- *KEEP AN EYE ON IT THE LAST 20 OR SO MINUTES - If necessary cover with foil at this time to keep the top from getting too brown.*.
- While letting stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving, put on a pot of dark roasted coffee and slice up some juicy oranges; which make a delicious accompaniment to this breakfast dish.