Recipe by Feast Your Eyes!
Tired of the same old breakfast choices. This delicious dish is easy to prepare without sacrificing on taste. Pull the ingredients together in a 13x9 casserole dish the night before and the following morning wake up your taste buds with this savory egg bake that features green chilies, mushrooms, scallions, 3 cheeses, and sausage. A special morning start like this will keep your family smiling all day long!
- 6 cups crusty French bread or 6 cups Italian bread or 6 cups sourdough bread, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 lb sausage, cooked and drained
- 3 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded and divided
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, roughly chopped (green onions)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar mushrooms, drained
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Lighlty grease a 13x9-inch casserole dish.
- Transfer bread, sausage, spinach, 1/2 cup of each cheese, scallions, chiles, mushrooms in prepared casserole dish. Mix lightly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend the eggs, half-and-half, salt, garlic and onion powders and cayenne pepper. Pour over the bread mixture taking care to evenly coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours (best to let flavors 'marry' overnight).
- Following morning, preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove plastic wrap from casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheeses over the top of the egg bake.
- Bake between 55 and 70 minutes - or until puffed and lightly golden. If in doubt, inset a knife into the center, it should come out clean.
- *KEEP AN EYE ON IT THE LAST 20 OR SO MINUTES - If necessary cover with foil at this time to keep the top from getting too brown.*.
- While letting stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving, put on a pot of dark roasted coffee and slice up some juicy oranges; which make a delicious accompaniment to this breakfast dish.