Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a quick version of the old time favorite. Its a great way to use up the leftover steak, tri-tip, roast, etc. This is a regular at our house! (I guessed at the 1 1/2 oz of brown gravy mix, I did not have one on hand to get the exact weight - just use a standard pkg)
- Saute the beef and the onion in 2 T of butter.
- There will be alot of"juice" in the pan so I turn up the heat for a couple of minutes to reduce the liquid.
- (Start your rice or your noodles at this point).
- Add the brown gravy mix to the water and stir to dissolve.
- Add gravy mixture to meat and stir constantly until thick.
- If you are in a hurry, you can add the sour cream at this point and be done with it or you can simmer the meat and gravy until your noodles or rice are done, then add the sour cream right before serving.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
- Makes 4 large servings.
- (If you like red wine, you can add 1/2 cup of red wine and 1 cup of water for the liquid).
- (You can also add mushrooms if desired).
I don't know that I'd classify this as a true stroganoff but it's along those lines and certainly quick and easy. I used mushroom gravy, just one packet and a packet of Herb Ox sodium free beef to replace the second one (working with a somewhat sodium restricted diet). I added sliced mushrooms to sauté with the onions, and I used the refrigerated minced garlic for ease. For part of the water I used Madeira wine, and since I was using leftover grilled beef I added it at the very last minute just to heat through. I did add paprika and a dash of garlic hot sauce for some zing. Because the Herb Ox substitution eliminated some of the thickener from the gravy I thickened it a little more with a cornstarch slurry, and served over buttered wide noodles.. I've used both leftover steak and roast for this, it's a great way to use leftover beef..
This really was quick and simple. I used some leftover roast and added some mushrooms and it made a tasty meal. Thanks for sharing. Made for Cookbook Tag.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. We were getting ready to leave for Maine for 10 days to close up out cottage and one last hurrah for the season and do not like to leave a lot of food in fridge/freezer/pantry while gone. 3 days to go and I had a top round steak in freezer, some brown/mushroom gravy mix, can of mushrooms, and egg noodles in pantry, and 1/2 container sour cream in fridge. Searched for hours on site for recipe not using canned soup (did not have, and no desire to go out for it, I am such a homebody) I did use the mushrooms, and used a lot of cracked pepper (personal preference) I made whole dish in my electric skillet (my new favorite cooking utensil) After work and a 1 hour 15 minute commute each way this was so perfect for my needs, easy, tasty, and didn't have to turn on stove or oven during the 4th heat wave this summer in Connecticut. Well 2 days to go before we leave, I have 2 chicken breast, a can of tomato sauce, a pepper and an onion and spices and herbs to cook with before
we go. Well, again thanks for posting, this was really good with egg noodles and a salad, especially since hurricane Earl is coming close according to all weather forecasts, and do not have to stress about a power outage and bad food when we get back. Will definetly make again.