Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I think this is the only recipe I actually made out of some low-cal cookbook I bought. This is NOT a recipe for frozen or canned beans, use fresh and using enough garlic is the key. I usually use about 12 - 15 cloves. Like the title says, it's really quick, easy and awesome...I think it's also healthy!! Healthy is not one of my favorite cooking terms, so if it's healthy and I like it, you know it's good!!
- 6 cups chicken broth (use fresh, canned low-fat or low sodium, whatever you like)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 sprig thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, pressed (I use up to 15 cloves)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths (basically cut so they will fit on a soup spoon)
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons parsley
- crouton (or crostini, optional)
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer.
- Press in garlic.
- Add beans.
- Simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Beat egg well in a small bowl.
- Temper egg by ladling some hot broth into the bowl.
- Stir the soup while adding the egg to the simmering broth.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Top with croutons crostini if you choose.
I was looking for a soup recipe to use up some fresh green beans and this was it. Very easy. Delicious.
Super quick, easy and garlicky, which is not a bad thing at our house. My DH really, really liked this soup. I think I would have liked a variety of veggies, like mushrooms and zucchini and spinach added to it, but then it wouldn't be green bean soup. It was a great lunch on a snowy afternoon. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Great flavor, easy to throw together, and I love how adjustable the seasonings are to my liking. Next time, I'm going to try to make this with a little heat and spice! I did my best to temper the egg, but wound up with some larger cooked egg pieces. I didn't care, as the flavor and texture were still yummy!