1/2 Photos of Quick & Delicious Hollandaise Sauce
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for real Hollandaise is easy to make, with the aid of a kitchen blender. For a Bearnaise sauce, substitute lemon juice with white wine, add a tablespoon of sauteed shallots and minced fresh tarragon and chervil to taste, omit Tabasco, and add a pinch of fresh ground white pepper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1NOTE: I HAVE BEEN MAKING HOLLANDAISE FOR YEARS AND HAVE NEVER HAD A SINGLE OCURRRENCE OF "SALMONELLA"! USE ONLY THE FRESHEST CRACK-FREE EGGS THAT HAVE BEEN PROPERLY REFRIGERATED. BEFORE BREAKING EGGS, SANITIZE THE OUTER SHELLS FIRST, THEN RINSE WELL FOR ADDED SAFETY. ALWAYS SERVE HOLLANDAISE WITHIN 1 HOUR OF PREPARATION. (STEP ONE): FINELY grate one washed, fresh organic lemon to yield 1/8 teaspoon zest; KNEAD and squeeze enough lemons to yield 1 tablespoon juice.
- 2SELECT a durable, quality kitchen blender with a removable center lid knob.
- 3SEPARATE two large eggs and add the yolks into the blender.
- 4ADD the lemon juice, lemon zest, 2-3 drops Tabasco brand sauce, and 1 pinch cayenne pepper; COVER blender and pulse a few times until mixture is combined.
- 5PLACE 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter in a microwave-safe measuring cup with spout; MELT butter on reduced power or in increments, until just melted.
- 6REMOVE blender lid's center knob to leave a feeding hole; REPLACE adjusted lid.
- 7SLOWLY trickle the melted butter into blender feeder hole by drips or up to the thinnest steady stream, until all of the butter has been added, and the mixture is completely blended and emulsified (if mixture is too thick, thin with 1 teaspoon lukewarm water, then re-blend).
- 8SEASON hollandaise with 7/8 - 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 9SERVE immediately, or keep Hollandaise warmed over a double boiler until just heated; stir as needed).
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick & Delicious Hollandaise Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 115.9
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 76.6 mg
- Sodium 4.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.8 g