Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
An improvisation of a recipe from Vegetarian Times, modified to suit the contents of my pantry, my tastes and the WW Core program. I love that it captures the flavor profile of longer cooking dishes but can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. The optional garnishes are not Core and require WPA. (Flex=4 points)
- 9.85-14.78 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 9.85-14.78 ml curry powder
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 1.23 ml coarse salt
- 473.18 ml thinly sliced green cabbage
- 255.14 g acorn squash or 1 small sweet potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1 carrot, julienned and cut in 1-2 inch lengths (you can quarter baby carrots instead)
- 354.88 ml cooked chickpeas or 354.88 ml canned chick-peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tart apple, cut in large wedges
- 14.79 ml minced fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 236.59 ml low sodium vegetable broth
- 59.14 ml chopped cilantro
- 29.58 ml coarsely chopped roasted cashew nuts (optional)
- 44.37 ml golden raisins (optional)
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced (optional)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion, curry powder, salt and cayenne pepper about 5 minutes, or until onion begins to brown. Stir in cabbage, acorn squash /sweet potato, chickpeas, carrot, apple, ginger and garlic. Sauté 2 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook vegetables, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until soft. Spoon into shallow bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
- Optional: Serve with diced tomato, raisins and cashews on the side and allow diners to garish to taste.
Made a very nice dinner. Enjoyed the mix of both veggies and spices. This is not a spicy hot dish, so please do not be afraid of pepper in it. Made as written using the 3 teaspoon option of curry, the sweet potato option and a granny smith apple. Also used the raisin and cashew (forgot to roast them) option. Thanks so much for the post.
I thought that this was a lovely little dish,with nice texture and flavour.Simple to prepare and cook,a good vegetarian meal,that's good for you too. I recommend the toasted cashews and raisins,they topped it off nicely. Thanks for posting,we enjoyed this! Made for PhotoTag.