1/1 Photo of Quick Curried Chops and Fruity Relish
Inspired by the flavors of India, this quick dinner contrasts the spiciness of mustard and curry powder with sweet fruity flavors of a warm relish that is akin to the finest chutneys. You can even make the relish ahead of time and reheat before serving. The spices in the paste are strong and designed to impart flavors in a short time. If you are planning a longer resting-marinading period, the results will be different. While this has been tested on an indoor grill, an outdoor BBQ should also work. (Created for RSC#10)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (5 ounce) boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick (center cut, trimmed of excess fat)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (reduced fat or non fat versions work fine)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4-3/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2/3 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely diced jalapeno (use more if you want a kick or stronger spicy-sweet contrast)
- 2 granny smith apples, diced into 3/8 inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/8 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup pineapple chunks in juice (reserve juice)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 medium purple plums, pitted and diced (about 2/3 cup)
- 1Mixed together all of the paste ingredients in a bowl. Toss in the chops and coat well. Set aside.
- 2Place the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and jalapeños and cook for 1 minute.
- 3Add diced apples, golden raisins, loosely drained pineapple, ginger and brown sugar and cook for 10-12 additional minutes, stirring occasionally. If the pot seems too too dry add a teaspoon or two of the reserved pineapple juice.
- 4Check to see that your apples are now tender. You want them to be soft to the bite but not nearly so soft as be on the verge of applesauce.
- 5Cook another 2 minutes.
- 6Add the chopped plums and vinegar and cook 5 additional minutes.
- 7Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 8Once the apples are tender, begin heating your indoor grill or grill pan. Remove the.
- 9excess paste from the chops and place on the grill.
- 10For an indoor grill cook 3 minutes and turn, rotating 90 degrees; cook an additional minute or two.
- 11For a grill pan allow 3 minutes per side.
- 12Serve 1 chop per person with a scoop of relish.
Browse Our Top Pineapple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pineapple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Curried Chops and Fruity Relish
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.4
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 102.4 mg
- Sodium 100.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 38.2 g
- Protein 32.5 g