Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I am posting this recipe for ZWT. It is a quick and easy German side dish. It is really good to accompany a summer barbeque when cucumbers are plentiful. The original recipe is from epicurious. *Cook time is resting time for the salted cucumbers to drain.
- 2 English cucumbers
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- 1 loaf rye bread (1 lb)
- 12 -16 ounces semisoft cheese (preferably German)
- Cut cucumbers crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices, then toss with salt in a colander and let stand 15 minutes.
- Rinse and drain cucumbers and pat dry with paper towels.
- Whisk together vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Add mustard, horseradish, and dill; mix well.
- Stir in cucumber and chill at least 5 minutes. Can be made several hours ahead.
- Slice bread and cheese and serve with pickles.
What a great recipe! The cucumbers were crisp and sour/sweet, with a really nice kick from the mustard and horseradish. Fastest pickles I ever made!