Recipe by mandabears
This an amazing recipe for Cucumber Kimchi from Eating Well July/August 2010. It is very easy to make and tastes like the Ban Chan (side dishes) that you get at Korean restaurants. Korean Chile Powder is called gochugara and can not be substituted for in this recipe. Cooking time is time to prep cucumbers
- 2 pickling cucumbers, i use kirbys (about 8 ounces)
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, peeled and finely chopped
- 29.58 ml rice vinegar
- 14.79 ml korean chili powder (see note)
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml fish oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a non reactive bowl or pan for this recipe. Stainless steel, enamel coated or glass is necessary when making this recipe.
- Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and then crosswise in 1/8 inch thick half moons.
- Place in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly with the salt.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile combine garlic, scallions, vinegar, chile powder, sugar and fish sauce in a medium non reactive bowl.
- Drain the cucumbers and discard liquid.
- Stir the cucumbers into the vinegar mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours before serving.
- Can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.