Recipe by joycekilmer
Make this dessert to use up pears, or as a quick treat for guests.
Top Review by sugarpea
This is delicious and a very nice presentation if you take the time to arrange the pears artfully. The batter really works. You end up with a very tart-like crust without having to roll one. At first I didn't think this was so. It seemed more like a shallow, slightly dense cake but after refrigerating it, the entire taste and texture changed to something more tart-like. I used 1/2 tsp almond extract, thinking a full tsp would be overpowering but I will try the full tsp and some powdered ginger next time. I also added a bit of salt to the batter. If you want pear cake, serve it before refrigerating. For pear tart serve after refrigerating. Great recipe, Chef #164791.
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- nutmeg, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour a glass pie pan.
- Beat all ingredients together, except pears and nutmeg.
- Pour batter into pie pan.
- Press pear slices on top of batter, in a spiral design.
- Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg.
- Bake in 350 degree oven, 25-35 minutes, until center is set and tart is lightly browned.
- Don't overcook.
- Serve warm or cold.