Recipe by Steve_G
A simple version of the old classic. VERY good
Top Review by Gigina
I have decided to resubmit my last rating, increasing it to 5 stars. The reason is because the first time around, I neglected to dust them with powdered sugar just before eating. The second time I dusted them with powdered sugar, as Steve directed, and just that small addition pushed them up to excellent!
for the crumbs
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold,cut into small chunks (142 gms)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar (220 gms)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (140 gms)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the buns
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar (300 gms)
- 1⁄2 cup clarified butter, cooled (114 gms, or use canola oil)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (236 gms)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (326 gms)
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bowl of your electric mixer combine dry topping ingredients, mix for 30 seconds to aerate and combine, Add butter and extract, mix on low speed until crumbs the size of small peas form.
- This can also be done by hand with a pastry blender.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees f.
- Line 18 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, with your electric mixer on medium speed beat the sugar, butter (or oil) and eggs until smooth.
- In a small bowl combine buttermilk, salt, baking soda and extracts.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add the buttermilk mixture into the egg mixture and mix on low speed until combined, add the flour and mix until just combined Divide the batter evenly into the18 muffin cups.
- Each liner should be about half full.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the batter, this should fill the cups Bake for 25-30 minutrs, until tests done.
- Cool in the pan for about 20 minutes, remove from pan and cool on wire rack until room temperature.
- May be served slightly warm.
- Dust with confectioners sugar right before serving.
- Cover and store for 2 days.