Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From BH&G, this is a quick and easy soup to throw together and is a great use for leftover turkey!
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (or homemade turkey broth)
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped cooked turkey
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced (about 1 cup or use other squash)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat alfredo sauce (or 10-ounce container refrigerated light Alfredo sauce)
- oyster crackers (optional)
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven or saucepan combine the chicken or turkey broth, peas and carrots. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in turkey, zucchini, rice, and thyme. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand about 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in Alfredo sauce. Return to heat and warm through. If you like, serve with oyster crackers. Enjoy!
Had leftover turkey and broth. Doubled the recipe, left out celery, added some broccoli, used cooked brown rice. I had to use a homemade cream soup instead of alfredo bcz of dairy allergies. I would reduce the thyme next time, and I added garlic, salt and pepper (my broth was low salt). I also sauteed the carrots first, then put everything in (except the cream soup) and cooked for 10 minutes. Even with the changes, this turned out very good and nice for a cold night.
Very easy to make; very flavoursome. I made it with leftover chicken on this occasion but shall make it again when I next have leftover turkey. I included all the ingredients in the recipe but added some minced onion and garlic and leek; and I also added some rosemary and sage to the thyme. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe, Sharon: a great way to ensure one is getting plenty of vegetables and, like most soup recipes, versatile enough for one to vary that each time one makes it! :) Made for PRMR.