Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I tweaked an oven-baked casserole to make a fast skillet dinner and the results were so yummy I had to post the recipe here for safe keeping. The original recipe called for a green pepper. I used a poblano pepper since that's what I had on hand and it lent a slightly spicy note to the dish. Use bell pepper if you don't want this a little spicy.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1 cup chicken stock (or broth)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat until butter melts.
- To the pan add chicken, onion, pepper, and seasonings until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the rice, stock, and soup and simmer over low heat until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy! This would also make a good filling for burritos/enchiladas.
Delicious and so easy! I used bell peppers in place of the poblano. Thanks! Made for PAC Spring 2014.