Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from epicurious.com. This is a fantastic low-fat soup recipe that tastes very creamy. It is also fast and easy-a really great healthy soup for the broccoli lover!! I used my immersion blender to make it even creamier.
- 709.77 ml frozen chopped broccoli (or fresh broccoli florets)
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 1-2 clove garlic, peeled
- 354.88-473.18 ml chicken broth or 354.88-473.18 ml water (or combination of the two)
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml milk
- 29.58 ml flour
- 2.46-4.92 ml basil
- 2.46 ml parsley
- 0.25 ml vinegar
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, combine broccoli, onion, garlic, broth (I used vegetable broth) or water, and salt.
- Cover pot, bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 15 minutes, or until everything starts getting soft.
- Use a ladle to transfer 2/3 of the soup into a blender.
- Blend the soup until smooth. (I just used my immersion blender until I was happy with the texture.)
- Pour back into saucepan and turn on heat to medium setting.
- In a small bowl, combine milk with flour and whisk together until smooth.
- Pour mixture into soup and stir.
- Add basil and parsley and stir until soup begins to thicken.
- Add vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
Well you SHOULD try this soon because it's absolutely delicious! I used fresh broccoli, water instead of broth and dried parsley, and it turned out very flavourful, hearty and creamy! This also freezes really well, so it's a great recipe to make LOTS of! Thanks!
Superb soup! I used fresh broccoli, chicken broth and fresh basil and parsley. I had some fat free half-and-half that needed to be used so I added about 1/4 cup of that. This soup is soooo creamy, the perfect texture. I could live on this soup, it's that good.
Really good, simple and quick recipe. I used veggie broth and wasn't all that happy when I tried my first bite and the soup tasted really bland to me. I then realized that I hadn't added any salt, whoops! It tasted better with the salt, also added a bit more vinegar and a tiny bit of nutmeg. I love how healthy this soup is. I'm not a fan of heavy creamy, cheesy soups, so this recipe is a real find. Thanks for sharing the recipe!