Recipe by KelBel
Another outstanding recipe from cooking light. Tastes like Tom Kha (Thai coconut soup) without all of the expense and fancy ingredients.
Top Review by Natalia 3
I'm giving this 5 star rating with one stipulation - additional lime (or lemon) juice! Without the lemongrass, it seemed to be missing something. I listened to my brother for once and brought out some sliced lemons. (Lime would've been good, but I only bought one for the recipe and had already used it up.) Everyone squeezed it into their soup. It went from 3 stars to 5! A great alternative to restaurant thai soup which usually contains MSG.
- 4 teaspoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste with garlic
- 6 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup hot cooked basmati rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a medium saucepan, and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in coconut milk, onions, chopped cilantro, and lime juice. Spoon rice into a soup bowl; ladle soup over rice.