This is quick because of the cake mix base, but it's luscious with its whipped cream frosting and loads of coconut. This would be terrific for Easter. Tint the coconut and add jellybeans on top! This is a combination of a couple of recipes from The Cake Mix Doctor. Please keep refrigerated. :)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix (no pudding in the mix)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 1/2 fluid ounce) can Coco Lopez (found in the cocktail mixers section of supermarket)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Baker's angel flake sweetened coconut
- Beat cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed for one minute to blend.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for two minutes, scraping down sides when necessary.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9" round cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat to stiff peaks.
- Frost between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Coat the outside surfaces liberally with grated coconut.