Recipe by Katzen
An easy bread, likened in flavour to putting a straw in a coconut! Of course, using fresh coconut to grate and make the coconut milk is devine if you have the time. (Note that you need to prepare coconut milk from the coconut meat, not just use what is poured from the coconut.) You might wish to top this with a lime glaze. From Sundays at Moosewood.
Top Review by Prose
This has a very yummy flavor, but mine didn't rise at all and came out a little dense. It might be my fault; I'm not sure. I will try again because I loved the coconut flavor and it wasn't too sweet. It makes a great breakfast. I halved the recipe and made one loaf. I used whole-wheat pastry flour and veganized it by using Ener G egg replacer and Earth Balance margarine. I didn't use the optional currants, but did stir in some macadamia nuts, which was perfect! Thanks for posting! Reviewed for Veg*an Swap, July 2009
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup currants (optional) or 1 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Blend in egg, milk, butter, and vanilla.
- Mix in the grated coconut and the currants or raisins, if used.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead slightly. Shape into two loaves and pat into two buttered medium loaf pans.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick in the centre comes out clean.