Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an old Betty Crocker Recipe. Although I tend to prefer recipes that don't use cake mixes, this recipe happens to be exceptionally decadent and delicious. Last time I made them they were practically inhaled.
- 3 tablespoons butter (see note) or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted (see note)
- 0.5 (18 1/2 ounce) packageof a 2 layer white cake mix (about 2 cups of dry mix)
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄3 cups sweetened flaked coconut (3 1/2 oz)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mixed nuts
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using a 9x13" pan, pour the melted butter or margarine into the pan and tilt it around to coat the bottom completely.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over melted butter.
- Then, sprinkle with the marshmallows, then the chocolate chips, then the coconut and lastly, the nuts.
- Pour the condensed milk evenly over all.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen.
- Then let it cool before cutting into 1 1/2 x 1" bars.
- Makes about 6 dozen cookies.
- Note: To save yourself a step and a dish to wash, you can put the butter or margarine right in the baking pan and heat it a low oven before raising the heat to 350° to preheat.
- Also, I found that in some ovens it might brown a bit too quickly.
- Check it while baking.
- If it does brown too quickly, cover with tin foil to keep it from browning any more, and remove for the last 5 minutes or so of baking.
i really love baking with cake mix, especially when you add goodies like coconut and chocolate chips. these were a big hit at my new granddaughter's tea, everyone loved them except the caterer. thanks for the recipe
So chewy and good! We couldn't stop eating them! I used FF sweetened condensed milk. They turned out great. I would recommend spraying the sides with non-stick spray though. They stuck to the sides quite a bit. They didn't stick to the bottom though because of the butter and cake batter. SOOO GOOD!!!
These little bars are really easy to prepare and have a wonderfully sweet flavor! I did have to lightly cover the top with foil to keep the top from browning too fast. The only change I made was using chopped pecans instead of mixed nuts, because that is all I had on hand. Great dessert! Thanks Charmed!