Recipe by Noo
This is a no butter version of the American classic..it's still good and gooey though. Best eaten on the day that it's made.
Top Review by Sara 76
I forgot to put pecans on my shopping list, but had some crushed peanuts in the pantry, so I mixed those through just before I poured the mixture into the cake tin. I also sprinkled some shredded coconut on top. I doubled the recipe and baked it at 200C for the first 10 minutes, but as the edges were starting to burn and the centre was still very gooey, I dropped the oven back to 150C for another 10 minutes. The brownies are rich and gooey, and have been a big hit with my kids! Very easy to make, and the no butter didn't seem to make a difference at all! Thanks for sharing :)
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
- 150 g chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, halved
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/ 400 degrees F/ Gas 6.
- Using a little of the sunflower oil, grease and line a 9" shallow cake tin.
- Melt the chocolate with the remaining oil in a heatproof bowl over simmering water, stirring until smooth.
- Beat the eggs lightly, then add to the chocolate, stirring vigorously. Beat in the flour, sugar and vanilla essence and pour into the prepared tin.
- Arrange the pecans on the top and bake for 10 minutes ( if you like a chewy brownie) if you like a more cake like brownie bake for an extra 5 minutes.
- Cut into squares and leave in the tin to cool.