Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Uses a cake mix to recreate the gooey goodness of cinnamon rolls without all the extra work. In my opinion, anything that combines cinnamon rolls with cake is a definite winner!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Mix together cake mix, eggs, oil and sour cream. Pour into prepared baking pan.
- In a separate bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter then swirl into batter with a knife. The more you swirl, the more combined it will be so don't over-swirl otherwise the cinnamon/sugar will not be swirly.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- For icing (optional) combine milk with icing sugar and mix thoroughly. Pour over slightly cooled (10-15 minutes on cooling rack) cake.
5 stars! I made the icing with water (mis-read the recipe), otherwise made as written. I used one of the grocery stores own brand of butter cake mix (that cost 60 cents) and it worked a treat. I let the cake stand for about 15 minutes, stabbed about 20 holes all over it (using a chop stick) and added the icing on top. Thanks for posting - I am making this one again!
This was good and fast. I prefer yeast-y cinnamon rolls, but that's definitely not fast. Next time, I think it would be better to put in 1/2 the batter, then 1/2 the cinnamon mix, repeat, and then swirl. Put 1 tsp vanilla in the icing and used Costco Saigon cinnamon which is pretty strong. Probably should have used part applesauce for the oil, but didn't.
WOW! Made exactly as written. So very good & SWEET. We love cinnamon rolls for breakfast around here, this would be a nice change up once in a while. I made this around dinnertime today and I don't think our cake will make an appearance for breakfast. may just have to whip up another....
The icing makes this, do NOT leave it off.