Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Something that can be easily made for unexpected guests or a teatime treat.
- 90 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons golden caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 150 ml full-fat milk
- 65 g unsalted butter, plus extra
- unsalted butter, for frying, melted
- 200 g cherry compote
- heavy cream, to serve
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, sugar and cocoa powder into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and pour in the beaten egg.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat the egg, gradually drawing in the flour. Add the milk a little at a time, while continuously mixing, until a smooth batter is achieved.
- Add the melted butter.
- Melt half the extra butter in a heavy-based frying pan and drop spoonfuls of the batter in the pan.
- Cook for 1 minute or so, until bubbles begin to rise to the surface.
- Flip over, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat for the rest of the scones.
- Warm the cherry compote in a small pan.
- Serve the scones with the warm compote and thick cream.