Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a quick version of chili. It does use a package seasoning mix but with the addition of some flavorful ingredients it has slow cooked flavor. Nobody believes I use a seasoning mix. The green chiles, beef broth and cumin are the key. Serve over spaghetti if you like and top with grated cheese and chopped onions.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (see note)
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packagesof packaged chili seasoning mix (Durkees, McCormicks or store brand)
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chili hot beans, in chili gravy (Red Gold, Joan of Arc, store brand)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, in juice
- 1 cup canned beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- cooked spaghetti (optional)
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- chopped onion (optional)
- Brown ground beef in 4 quart (or larger) sauce pan and drain fat well.
- Add remaining ingredients (not optional spaghetti, cheese or onions) in order shown and stir well.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with or without spaghetti, cheese or onions depending on your preference.
- Note: 2 14.5 oz cans of plain diced tomatoes in juice may be used with the addition of a 4 oz can of chopped green chiles drained.
- Note: Ground turkey may also be used with the addition of 1 t. of Kitchen Bouquet during the browning process.