Recipe by Lisa Michelle Smith
I made this recipe up as I went. I wanted something that tasted like chili, but quick and more soup like than chili. Husband loved it.
Top Review by miss marie
My BF was looking for a recipe for a chili soup. I've never heard of chili soup, it is something he remembers from his childhood. He gave this one thumbs up! I substituted 1/2 lb ground turkey for the pork sausage and omitted the bell peppers and sugar (all at his request). Next time I'll try the Bush's beans the other reviewer mentioned for added "chili" taste.
- 1⁄3 lb pork sausage (more if desired, Vegetarians may omit the sausage and add another can of beans) (optional)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 2⁄3-3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown and"crumble" sausage.
- Add diced onion& pepper.
- Saute until onions are almost clear.
- Add tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, seasonings and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Total preparation time is about 30 minutes, because of dicing the vegetables and browning meat.
- Makes about 2 quarts.
- Will feed 4 easily with seconds.
- Cornbread goes well with this soup.