Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A very tasty dish to enjoy on a cold night.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cored,seeded,and chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- Heat the oil in a heavy 3 quart saucepan over moderate heat for about 1 minute.
- Add the onion, green pepper, beef, and garlic, and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 7 or 8 minutes, or until the inion is soft and the beef has browned.
- Add the tomato sauce, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, oregano, and salt.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of water if the mixture becomes too thick.
- Stir in the beans, cover, and simmer for 5 more minutes, or until the beans are heated through.
- Serve with a green salad.