Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Sample Middle Eastern cooking with this simple and quick-to-make chickpea dish by Mike Robinson.
Make and share this Quick Chickpea Tagine recipe from Food.com.
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas
- 100 g pitted green olives
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves and stems separated
- 2 preserved lemons, quartered, available from specialist stores
- 125 ml white wine
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted
- 1 (4 cm) cinnamon sticks
for the chili paste
- 3 red chilies, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Heat the olive oil and add the chopped onions. Cover and cook until softened, but not coloured.
- Add the peppers, chickpeas, tomatoes, olives, chopped coriander stalks, lemons, white wine, stock and the spices. Simmer for 20 minutes, until everything has cooked down and thickened.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, pound the chillies and garlic with the olive oil and lemon juice to make a slack paste.
- Stir the coriander leaves and chilli paste into the warm chick pea mixture and serve with flat breads.