Recipe by Manami
This childhood favorite takes a third of the time with equal success. Refrigerator biscuits make the dumplings. It really is very tasty and delicious. Cottage Living Magazine, 10/2007 issue.
Top Review by mollywally
This is a really neat recipe. I would have never thought of using biscuits, it was very tasty. I cooked the carrots, celery and onion longer as we like them more done. I also left out the chives/parsley. The recipe was a bit time consuming but well worth the effort. Will make again.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 small boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3oz each) or 7 small chicken breasts (about 3oz each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 cups home-made chicken broth or 3 cups low sodium organic chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 1⁄4 ounces refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (5 large biscuits)
- all-purpose flour, for dusting biscuits
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or to taste, not that bottled stuff)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives (we used the chives) or 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley (we used the chives)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken 6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- (Chicken may not completely cook through but will finish cooking when returned to broth.).
- Transfer chicken to cutting board; cut into bite size pieces; set aside. (Keep warm).
- Melt butter in pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot and saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth,, thyme, sea salt, & pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered 5 minutes.
- Whisk together cream and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir in simmering broth.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters and dredge pieces in flour, shaking off excess.
- Add biscuits to broth and cook partially covered or until biscuits are firm to the touch. (Biscuits will continue to cook.).
- Add chicken, lemon juice and chives to broth, simmer until chicken is heated throguh.
- Season with additional sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, if desired.