1/1 Photo of Quick Chicken Soup With Buttermilk Dumplings
This childhood favorite takes a third of the time with equal success. Refrigerator biscuits make the dumplings. It really is very tasty and delicious. Cottage Living Magazine, 10/2007 issue.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 small boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3oz each) or 7 small chicken breasts (about 3oz each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 cups home-made chicken broth or 3 cups low sodium organic chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 1/4 ounces refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (5 large biscuits)
- all-purpose flour, for dusting biscuits
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or to taste, not that bottled stuff)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives (we used the chives) or 1/4 cup fresh parsley (we used the chives)
- 1Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Cook chicken 6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- 3(Chicken may not completely cook through but will finish cooking when returned to broth.).
- 4Transfer chicken to cutting board; cut into bite size pieces; set aside. (Keep warm).
- 5Melt butter in pot over medium heat.
- 6Add onion, celery, and carrot and saute for 3 minutes.
- 7Stir in broth,, thyme, sea salt, & pepper.
- 8Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered 5 minutes.
- 9Whisk together cream and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir in simmering broth.
- 10Cut each biscuit into quarters and dredge pieces in flour, shaking off excess.
- 11Add biscuits to broth and cook partially covered or until biscuits are firm to the touch. (Biscuits will continue to cook.).
- 12Add chicken, lemon juice and chives to broth, simmer until chicken is heated throguh.
- 13Season with additional sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Chicken Soup With Buttermilk Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 634.2
- Calories from Fat 322
- Total Fat 35.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 156.2 mg
- Sodium 1566.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 33.4 g