This childhood favorite takes a third of the time with equal success. Refrigerator biscuits make the dumplings. It really is very tasty and delicious. Cottage Living Magazine, 10/2007 issue.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 small boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3oz each) or 7 small chicken breasts (about 3oz each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 cups home-made chicken broth or 3 cups low sodium organic chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 1⁄4 ounces refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (5 large biscuits)
- all-purpose flour, for dusting biscuits
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or to taste, not that bottled stuff)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives (we used the chives) or 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley (we used the chives)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken 6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- (Chicken may not completely cook through but will finish cooking when returned to broth.).
- Transfer chicken to cutting board; cut into bite size pieces; set aside. (Keep warm).
- Melt butter in pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot and saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth,, thyme, sea salt, & pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered 5 minutes.
- Whisk together cream and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir in simmering broth.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters and dredge pieces in flour, shaking off excess.
- Add biscuits to broth and cook partially covered or until biscuits are firm to the touch. (Biscuits will continue to cook.).
- Add chicken, lemon juice and chives to broth, simmer until chicken is heated throguh.
- Season with additional sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
This is a really neat recipe. I would have never thought of using biscuits, it was very tasty. I cooked the carrots, celery and onion longer as we like them more done. I also left out the chives/parsley. The recipe was a bit time consuming but well worth the effort. Will make again.
Outstanding soup!! I had this soup at a friends house and loved it. When I made it at home I used leftover roasted chicken from the store and baked the biscuits halfway through before adding them to the soup. I then put the pot in the oven to continue to brown the biscuits. It cooked the biscuits quicker than when my friend made it. Yum! Yum! Thank you for posting the recipe. This was I can never lose it.
This soup is outstanding!! The flavors are wonderful. I used chicken breast and chives. I am terrified of making dumplings but this is my answer! The only thing that I will do differently next time is to cut the biscuits into 1/8 sections because they really blow up. Thank you so much for posting such a great recipe! Made for My 3 Chefs '08.