Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
I've streamlined this family favorite so you can get it on the table in less than 30 minutes. GOOD TO KNOW: Skinless chicken is a much leaner and healthier option. Although skin tastes good, it has a lot of unhealthy, saturated fat. Dressing up regular chicken breasts with this parm recipe provides flavor and nutrients like calcium and protein.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 5 ounces each)
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup preshredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken breasts flat sides down on a sheet of plastic wrap. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap. Using a small saucepan or rolling pin, lightly poung the breast to about 1/3-inch thickness. Pat breasts dry with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and oregano. In another bowl, lightly beat egg and salt. Brush both sides of chicken breasts with egg, then lightly coat with crumb mixture.
- Warm oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When oil simmers, add chicken breast and cook about 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly on top of chicken breasts in last minute of cooking. Transfer breasts to serving plates.
- Meanwhile, warm marinara sauce in microwave or small saucepan for 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon about 2 tablespoons sauce over each breast. Serve immediately.