Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "The Best Freezer Cookbook". This is a very simple soup. My kids actually prefer it with no carrots or peas. Just chicken and noodles. I find the noodles I use in the kosher section of my supermarket.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces very thin egg noodles
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add carrots and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add green onions then broth, bayleaf, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are almost done.
- Bring back to a boil and add noodles, chicken and peas.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and taste for seasoning.
- To freeze: I freeze this by adding the chicken and peas in step 5 but not adding the noodles until I reheat it. They tend to absorb a lot of the broth. You can add them before freezing, just add more broth upon thawing and heating. Cool, ladle into freezer containers. Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw in microwave or overnight in the fridge.
Very nice - I made a few changes such as using 2 teaspoons of margarine instead of 2 tablespoons of butter; I did not add more salt and I used thinly sliced celery instead of frozen peas, the noodles I used were spaghettini. I also let the finished soup sit on very low heat for about 1 hr. after cooking and before serving. Having said all that - is it the same recipe??? I believe it is and the changes were in part my taste/health and in part an experiment (that worked)
Thanks for a quick recipe. I made this at the last minute upon the request of my hubby who was fighting a cold and it turned out great. Very nice flavor. I did not add the green onions, since I didn't have any on hand and used whole wheat angel hair spaghetti, but other than that, followed the recipe.
Very good! My DH is fighting a bad cold and requested some chicken soup. Since he's not a campbell's fan, I knew I could find a good one at zaar...And that I did. Quick, easy, and delicious. I didn't have peas so I didn't add them. To make the process quicker, I shredded the carrots in my food processor. thx for a qreat, quick recipe!!!